[fruityloops] Re: Published songs

  • From: "AndyEbling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:30:56 +0100

Hi Jon,

> Nice song Andy. Love the filtering.   I haven't been that brave to try
that
> yet : ).

Hey thanks man! :-)  Filters are kinda becoming my speciality; if I'm short
in inspiration, I play with a filter on a synth riff until something cool
happens.  The stuff in that song is just done using the TS404 filters, but
you can do some pretty wacky stuff by automating the parametric EQ.  Thats
what I'm doing in my latest track.... but I've only done the intro and the
first verse so far and the inspiration seems to have dried up a bit.

> Was that done in an Automation channel?

Yes.  I record all my automation in separate patterns.  Where possible I
record it in realtime and then go back and tweak it with the event editor
later.  In that particular case, I needed to tweak the cutoff and resonance
at the same time, so I used the X-Y controller, this has the added benefit
of smoothing things out if you set the speed right.

The filter twist ups in the before the last chorus took forever to get
right.  Now and then I still here something else that needs tweaking... but
you have to stop somewhere with that sort of thing.

> How was the song it built up?

I was just messing around with a square-ish sounding lead and came up with
the hook that forms the rest of the song.  I recorded it and saved it in a
file named as the date in my "messing-around" folder (where I keep all those
half an hour sessions of just trying things out in case they come in handy
one day).  A week or so later I pulled it out and within an hour I had about
70% of ideas for the song in place.  Getting the swept TS404 idea was what
made the synth riff into a viable track.  The rough process went something
like:

i) synth riff
ii) TS404 bassline
iii) drums
iv) strings
v) fx

That isn't a fix formula that I follow, just how it happened that particular
time round.

That was my second track done with fruity, so I was pleased with how it
worked out in the end.

> Did you use the fruity Playlist to construct it?

Yes.  The only thing that was done outside fruity was some individual sample
editing in cool edit and the final mastering, done in n-track with my
mastering plugin collection.  I've heard a lot of people talking about
putting their tracks together in Acid from constituent loops made up in
fruity.  This sounds like quite a cool way to work, especially if you only
have limited CPU muscle available.  Unfortunately, Acid is too expensive and
seeing as the fruity playlist is perfectly functional, I guess I be sticking
with that for the time being.  My wife and I hope to move house sometime
soon, so there ain't a lot of spare money for that sort of thing :-(.

> http://www.hoolak.com

Just had a look around your website: kinda cool.  I'm not a great fan of
shockwave/flash, since the Linux flash plugin is very unstable, but the
overall effect is quite professional and impressive.  Nice one.

Andy