[frgeek-michiana] Volunteer database

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:43:09 -0500

Ok, things didn't go so well in the Goose lab this weekend.

1. I took Friday off to get some stuff done that wasn't happening. Day starts with the Gateway P3-500 crashing a lot... Ok, spend 5 hours downloading Windows drivers, installing Windows, changing my mind, reconfiguring the hardware and reinstalling again on my new hotrod (XP +2000, 512mb, 20g+10g hd). Ok, with that done I turn my attention to my Linux box Galactica (my gateway machine) to clean up some emwin scripts before I backup the box.

BTW on the AMD heat issue... YES, it generates a heck of a lot of heat! I've got 2 fans alone cooling the pci slots and the North/South bridge chips! This motherboard has a 2 inch set of fins on the North bridge chip! I ended up modding the case to hold one of the fans where I needed it. Yes, the Dremel was called to duty! A really nice installation overall. <mental note> Don't Dremel on the desktop, the mess was hell to clean up.

As far as cleaning up stuff on Galactica... Needless to say that was a mistake! An errant 'rm -rf' nipped me in the #$%^#%^#^#$ again... :( I lost /etc right off the top so the box was hosed. I saved what I could off the box and reinstalled Debian on it. Actually, looking back on this, it proved to be a good thing.

With Friday and a better part of Saturday now gone dealing with the problems, I chill Saturday evening.

Sunday brought good fortunes again! I took the now old P3-500 and threw Debian on it to make it the database server. I also managed to get XFCE4, audacity and vncserver working well with it! So I have a database / audio server now. Previous research tells me by adding a hardware based mpeg encoder/decoder/tuner card + MythTV and I've got a full blown DVR! This is pretty sweet. I can sit on the couch with the laptop and remotely control Poseidon (the database / audio server)!

It's kind of cool but weird editing audio at my desk but hearing the audio coming from across the room! It takes a little getting used to. The P3-500 was able to sample the audio just fine AND send the heavy graphical traffic back to my desk over the network! I am surprised that it could keep up with everything! Good stuff.

This morning I created my 'super user' account on Postgresql and opened it up to connections on the local network. After I restore my source scripts for the volunteer database project I'll be ready to start coding! I had hoped to be coding this by now. <frown> Tonight I need to reinstall apache on Galactica and get it secured once again. My plan is to use the home lan for testing / development and initial implementation.

Goose

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>