[frgeek-michiana] Re: Volunteer database

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 14:27:20 -0500

I can't say say for every distribution but on Debian, it's pretty straight forward except for the following:

1. /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf

You need to modify this file for what connection rights people have to the postgresql server and how to authenticate them.

Being my sql server is behind the NAT / Firewall on my home lan I'm not worried about people getting to it so I leave the connections wide open but insist on name / password authentications.

Be advised as of the latest I have read, you CAN NOT bind Postgresql to a specific ip or interface! Another wards don't leave it open to the wild on the Internet! This is a drawback and they were looking into what could be done for it.

2. /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf

  To make any odd ball or site specific changes you might have

3. 'su -' to the postgres user and create your 'super user' account for yourself. This step isn't mandatory but does save admin headaches.
a. Login as user to Linux box
b. su to root
c. su - postgres (su to the postgres user account)
d. psql template1 (use the cli connect to the default postgres database)
e. create user xxxxx with password 'yyyy' createuser createdb;
(creates user account xxxx assigns password yyyy to it and set your ability to create users and databases)
f. \q
Your mileage might vary from distro to distro on exactly how to do these steps.

The beauty of all this is if you know Oracle, use Oracle, etc. IBM recently said it's releasing DB2 into the open source world. Oracle and Informix are already there. Of course, you could use mysql or sqlite if you interfered. Why Postgres? It's the first one I learned and it's enterprise strength. I like the thoughts of Sqlite and other non-sql engine based sql products but they will not fill the needs I have for my emwin project or my employers needs. Of course, now that DB2 is coming I might need to rethink this :)

I will say Postgresql isn't the easiest to learn to administer but I personally feel it's worth the effort. I've got Postgresql running in this office with Backuppc on the same server (which heavily loads the server at times) yet Postgresql keeps dishing the queries like nobody's business... Robust is the word for it.

John Mansfield wrote:
Hi Goose,

Great work.

Not really... I could have done without the 'rm -rf \&1' going crazy and deleting my drive. Still aint figured out how that happened. But like I said, I really needed to make changes on Galactica so in the end it was worth it. I'm a lot happier with the setup at home now. It's much closer to what FGM will have and what I already have at work. Now if I could only solve the oddball Samba <> W2K issue... That issue didn't exist until I reinstalled both Windows 2000 Pro and Debian on the day! The problems never seem to end <grin>
What are you going to use for a front end?
Presently FGM's game plan is to use Apache w/ Rivet (allows tcl to be used in Apache) and of course tcl. Postgresql even has a plugin that allows you to use tcl as a procedure language within. Until the screw up Friday evening I had something I could have pointed you to to demonstrates it.

My employer has software that's in production status now since September using the tcl / rivet / postgresql / apache setup and it's pretty solid and reliable. The really nice thing is that software code fixes are immediate! Hit refresh and pow - u have a fixed program! The best part, platform independence!
Thanks,
John Mansfield
Welcome <grin>

  Goose

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>