[frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubunto

  • From: Robert Citek <robert.citek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:07:02 -0500

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM, john jones <rainman121065@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Recently ive been toying with Ubunto and found it to be a nice efficient fast
> app,well today it said something about about upgrading to 9.10 version so I
> did after 35min it finally finished upgrading,I tried to log back in and it
> wouldnt let me in. After a second time of logging it let me in,wasnt no
> different then the other version I had ,only now its telling me that i have
> bad sectors in my drive and its no longer fast and efficient and is starting
> to really suck,can somebody explain to me in elementary terms whats going
> wrong and what i can do to fix it to be fast and efficient the way it used to
> be????

It may be a "bug" in one of the disk tools:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libatasmart/+bug/438136

From reading the comments, it's not clear if the warnings are because
the new tools have more sensitive tests, or because some threshold was
lowered, or because there's a bug reporting a problem when there
really isn't one, or because of something else.

I'm not sure what the solution to making it fast and efficient again is.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert