Re: [foxboro] /opt partition keeps filling up

  • From: "Schouten, Frits JF" <Frits.Schouten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 06:21:10 +1000

Once you've deleted the logfile the only thing you can do is to stop and
start the application.
Thsi will create a new logfile.
But next time when it's growing out of hand do the cp /dev/null trick.
If you're are keen to keep the log file, write a little script that makes a
copy of it and then does the /dev/null trick to the original file.
You can have this script running from cron perhaps once a week or so.

The reason why it behaves like this is because the original application
keeps track of the logfile pointer by inode.

Cheers,
Frits.