Re: [foxboro] NT vs Unix

  • From: "Neil Martin" <neil_martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:48:06 -0600

Unix is my preference because it is more stable, I much prefer the remote
access capabilities (Xwindows and telnet are well integrated, can remote
mount for file copies,  I don't have to do any drive mapping, etc.), and I
can do software upgrades on a Sun machine much faster than I can on the
Foxboro NT boxes.  The only down side of Sun boxes that I can think of, is
that the Sun stations do not communicate directly with the Microsoft COM
protocols, the Sun boxes are more expensive to upgrade and maintain,
Foxboro seems to charge more for Unix licensing than NT, and Foxboro seems
to be headed in more of an NT (actually XP) direction.  Other than direct
purchase cost issues, the only good thing I can say about using NT for the
Foxboro system is that NT/XP talks native COM protocols.

If you want to use some NT boxes, then I would suggest looking strongly at
using Unix for the AW or AP, and then NT for WPs.  As long as your hardware
is reliable and you greatly minimize the additional software you load onto
the NT box  (WP70), the WP70 will run a very long time.  I know, because
one of our systems is a mixed AW51, WP51, WP70, CP, Micro I/A,
Nodebus/Ethernet system.  To interact with control graphics and the
process, the WP70 will work very well, there are interaction differences
between the Unix and NT stations.  The WP70s can not directly access the
control configurator  hosted by the AW51, but you can use the Exceed that
is already on the WP70 to establish a remote DM/FoxView session - Foxboro
will want you to use second ethernet cards for the communication.  If
someone is knowledgeable, the Unix and NT integration (remote access,
running automated scripts, etc.) can be greatly improved by using PERL,
FTP, TELNET, and SAMBA.  Using these tools, scripts can be written that can
be run from any machine (NT or Unix) and interact with all of the other
machines (both Unix and NT).

Neil Martin
Huntsman Corporation
7114 North Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX.  78752
ph) 512-483-0119

                    AWeldon@huntrefini

                    ng.com                   To:     foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    foxboro-bounce@fre       Subject:     [foxboro] NT vs Unix

                    elists.org

                    11/08/02 07:57 AM

                    Please respond to

                    foxboro

We are currently looking at upgrading all of our AW's and WP's.  The
question is whether to stay with Unix or move to the  NT boxes.  Does
anyone
have any experiences that they are willing to share about NT vs. Unix vs. a
Hybrid system.  I have no real desire to give Bill & Co. more of my world
but everyone seems to be headed that way.

Thanks in advance,

Alan D. Weldon
Sr. Process Control Eng
Hunt Refining Company