Re: [foxboro] HLBL problem

  • From: Jerry Hidahl <Jerry_Hidahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:47:06 -0600

>Along with some of the other suggestions, I have experienced problems with
>labels when they exist near comments.

>For example:
>(* operator comment *)
><<quit>>
>
>I have had strange compile errors because of things like this.  Typically
>we aren't worried about operator comments, so if you change the comment to
>a C style comment, the problem will go away.
>
>/* operator comment */
><<quit>>

I've been bit by this same problem a couple times and puzzled over it. The
key is the location of a label like <<quit>> or $$quit$$ must be at the
beginning of the line. A HLBL comment like (* operator comment *) are on
the same line as the label that follows it. Adding a semicolon after the
comment and before the label would fix it. Precompiler comments like /*
operator comment */ don't even get to the compiler, so they are really
skipped. As long as there's a semicolon before the label and nothing but
<LF> or space characters in-between, the label will work.

I've been bit by <CR> characters, too, because I always use Word for my
editing. I usually get a different syntax error when that happens. Use the
"Save As" option and make sure to specify the file type as plain text,
US-ASCII coding, check the "Insert line breaks" option, and End lines with
"LF-only". (All of this is just to avoid using VI editor.)

I think I've been bit by the missing close-comment character ( } ), too,
and it's a tough one to find.

Dirk, you're a fine man for locating and correcting this problem for your
colleague.

Jerry Hidahl
Process Control Engineer
Port Neches Performance Products
Huntsman Corporation

             steve.shimp@exxon
             mobil.com
             foxboro-bounce@fr         foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             eelists.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             12/23/2008 10:29          Re: [foxboro] HLBL problem
             AM

             Please respond to
             foxboro@freelists
                   .org

Along with some of the other suggestions, I have experienced problems with
labels when they exist near comments.

For example:
(* operator comment *)
<<quit>>

I have had strange compile errors because of things like this.  Typically
we aren't worried about operator comments, so if you change the comment to
a C style comment, the problem will go away.

/* operator comment */
<<quit>>

Steve