Re: [foxboro] FXBAIS vs PI OPC Interface

  • From: <dave.g.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:54:23 +0100

We are using both types on different systems.  Our strategy is to move =
all our systems to the OPC connection.  Our advise from OSI was that he =
FXBAIS connection was regarded as legacy and would eventually be =
withdrawn. =20

Other than some issues, which are detailed in a helpful hint, we have =
had no significant problems with the FXBAIS solution.

The issues with OPC connection are potentially many and various.  Mainly =
the fact that OPC is client driven and therefore potentially can have =
unlimited data calls with uncontrollable deltas.  You design must do =
something to regulate this state of affairs.  Both Matrikon and Invensys =
offer suitable servers, ensure the latest QF are installed if you use =
AIM*OPC.  One of the main differences is the way access and data delta =
control is implemented.  Although there are other differences that may =
influence you choice depending on the data you wish to collect.

If you go down the OPC route you can download a 30 day trial of the =
Matrikon server.  I'm sure your Invensys account manager can arrange =
something similar for AIM*OPC. =20

Dave Williams
Snr Power and Control Engineer
Tel: +44(0)151350 4480 Fax: 4566=20