Re: [foxboro] Dual monitor in V6.4

  • From: "Stan Ruth" <Stan_Ruth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:15:31 -0500

This is true not for just v6.4, but v6.3 also - which is where Damon
discovered the problem.

 (Embedded image   Stan M. Ruth, P.E.
 moved to file:    Process Control
 pic32757.jpg)     Engineer
                   Huntsman O&O Plant
                   Phone: (409) 723-3966
                   Pager: (409) 727-0300
                   - 966
                   Fax: (409) 724-4650
                   E-mail:
                   stan_ruth@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Theresa

                      Franks/US/PC/HUNTSM        To:
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      AN@HUNTSMAN                cc:
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  Re: [foxboro] Dual
monitor in V6.4
                      foxboro-bounce@free

                      lists.org

                      10/25/2002 09:30 AM

                      Please respond to

                      foxboro

To all,

It seems that the software upgrade is clearing out the old driver for the
second video card.  I will give you a procedure that I came up with to
reinstall it.  This is not documented but it works great.  I had to figure
it out the hard way.

First, you need to have the model 51D/E preinstall diskette for ver. 6.x.
This disk contains the driver.  Once the disk is located, Here is the
procedure:

1.  tar tvf /dev/fd0           *****  you should see that there are three
files.  pre_install.Z, ia_install, and PGX32.Z
                                                      If this is what you
see, move on to step two.  Otherwise, you need to locate the right disk.
2.  cd /
3.  tar xvf /dev/fd0
4.  cd /tmp
5.  mkdir /opt/pgx32
6.  mv PGX32.Z /opt/pgx32
7. cd /opt/pgx32

8.  **********  you need to create a file called 'ans'.  This is a file
that contains three lines that contain 'y'.

                  ex:    y
      the procedure is as follows:
            vi ans
      i y    <enter>
                y       <enter>
                  y     <enter>
                 :  wq

          after this file is created, move to next step.

9.   zcat PGX32.Z |tar xvf -
10.  pkgadd  -d . TSIgfxdrv TSIgfxOW <ans

The last step (step 10) installs all drivers needed for the second video
card and the line needs to be typed exactly like I have above.
After this, the files in /tmp can be removed.
11. rm /tmp/ia_install
       rm /tmp/pre_install
       rm /tmp/PGX32.Z

This should correct the problem.
 If you need any further assistance, let me know
Damon

 (Embedded     Theresa Franks
 image moved   I&E DCS/PLC Supervisor,
 to file:      Huntsman JCO
 pic02995.gif) Phone: (409) 724-4635
               Pager: (409) 749-2859
               Fax: (409) 723-3809
               E-mail:
               theresa_franks@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Perez, Claudio"

                      <CPerez@profertil        To:
"'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      .com.ar>                 cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [foxboro] Dual
monitor in V6.4
                      foxboro-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      10/25/02 08:53 AM

                      Please respond to

                      foxboro

> Dear Damon,
>=20
> The driver for the PGX32 PCI Video Card was succesfully installed
> following the B0400PT instructions (using the CD labeled "Raptor GFX =
Open
> Windows for Solaris 73-0051-01 Rev.B Version 2.1 provided with the =
card
> two years ago).
>=20
> After booting through boot -r routine the screen shows CRT=3D1 and =
the
> /dev/fb1 is missing.
>=20
> We have other five WP51Ds with dual CRTs installed according to the
> standard V6.4 procedure without problems but they are using their =
original
> Sun Video Card.
>=20
> =BFHow we can build the /dev/fb1 device manually? We are assuming =
that the
> card hardware is OK because it was working properly just until the
> upgrade. =BFIs it possible that the problem is generated by a bug =
embedded
> in the V6.4 basic software?
>=20
> Thank you in advance for your support .
>=20
> Claudio A. Perez
> Sr Control Systems Engineer
> PROFERTIL S.A.
>=20
>=20
> ----------
If you
> have any questions, you can call the Foxboro company and ask the
> dispatcher
> to connect to me to talk you through it.  I am out of the Beaumont, =
TX
> office.
> Good luck,
> Damon Whitman
>                                           =20
>  (Embedded     Theresa Franks             =20
>  image moved   I&E DCS/PLC Supervisor,    =20
>  to file:      Huntsman JCO               =20
>  pic18716.gif) Phone: (409) 724-4635      =20
>                Pager: (409) 749-2859      =20
>                Fax: (409) 723-3809        =20
>                E-mail:                    =20
>                theresa_franks@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
>                                           =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =20
>=20
>                       "Perez, Claudio"
>=20
>                       <CPerez@profertil        To:       'Cassandra
> Project' <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                               =20
>                       .com.ar>                 cc:
>=20
>                       Sent by:                 Subject:  [foxboro] =
Dual
> monitor in V6.4                                            =20
>                       foxboro-bounce@fr
>=20
>                       eelists.org
>=20
> =20
>=20
> =20
>=20
>                       10/25/02 06:56 AM
>=20
>                       Please respond to
>=20
>                       foxboro
>=20
> =20
>=20
> =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Hi list:
>              We are upgrading a WP51D from 6.1.2 to 6.4 with a dual
> monitor
> using
> a PGX32 (Raptor GFX OpenWindows for Solaris) video card. We followed =
=3D
> the
> standard procedure included in  BO400PT but it didn=3DB4t work. =
During =3D
mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=3Djoin
mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=3Dleave
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> -- No attachments (even text) are allowed --
> -- Type: image/gif
> -- File: pic18716.gif
>=20
>=20