Re: [foxboro] CP-60 Fieldbus Communication Errors

  • From: Kurt J Russell <RUSSELL_KURT_J@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:35:04 -0500

Tom,
   A couple of years ago when we went from CP30's to CP60FT's we had our
round of FBM sysmon messages.  I originally placed a CAR when we noticed a
pattern in which FCM modules were appearing in the sysmon messages.  There
was a correlation between the number of FBM's with ladders under the FCM
and whether it racked up sysmon messages.  If you had one more or one
fewer then our magic number of 10 ladder-based FBM's, the problem
disappeared.  After a visit by a TAC engineer and a Lifeline service rep,
we mapped the every fieldbus, and confirmed that only a handful were the
major sysmon message contributers.  We then installed QF1000433 which
brought our iom82 files up to 1.11 and the major hitters stopped.
  Now we still have some random sysmon message to contend with.  I am
going to replace all my fieldbus cable to resolve the issue.  We installed
out CP60's when the spec on the cable was not finalized (or fully detailed
in the documentation).  We would up installing a cable that had a 52 ohm
resistance, instead of the desired 50 ohm.  We were disappointed, as we
repeated asked to confirm the spec before we purchased, but all we were
told at the time was that we needed RG58 A/U or C/U cable.  So I guess
that we are to blame for not being persistant by being anal about our
inquiries.
   Once we replace the cable, it is our hope that we have clean
fieldbuses.

   Now one point of interest.  When we completed our replacing our initial
CP60's with the newest revision, per the advisory, we wound up having two
CP60FT pairs that would not remain married.  I believe that we are a
casualty of the CP revision  - difference in fault-tolerant diagnostics /
error-checking between the CP's while they are monitoring the fieldbuses.
Hopefully the change in fieldbus cable replacement will help.

Kurt Russell

Senior Project Engineer
Forteo Process Automation (KYJ03)
Phone: 317-277-1008