Re: [foxboro] Alarm envrionments

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:50:49 +1200 (NZST)

Alan,

I've used a couple of approaches.
I do normally assign an alarm group for historian only.
Although alarm group is not connectable, alarm priority is, so alarm priority
can be reduced (or raised) for whole groups of alarms if desired.
CAD filters can be used to keep low priority alarms off the display during
periods of significant upset.

While you're right about sequence logic, setpars and omsetimp being more
difficult to trace than block connections, it's not that much different than
working with graphics which can affect blocks in much the same manner.  I feel
the key is making it obvious on the operator graphics that special conditions
are in place -- ie, if alarms are redirected using a setpars script, one
function of the script should be to set a CIN that shows a warning on operator
displays that alarms are redirected.

I also use off-line HTML documentation that's auto-updated weekly to keep
track of cross references between control logic, historian, graphics, etc...
I'm starting to include scripts, INI15 links, and sequence logic (where full
object names are used) in that documentation.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Senior Control Engineer
Kinleith Pulp & Paper