Re: accessing exchange server from outside domain

  • From: Praveen Ramaswamy <ramaswamy_praveen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 02:44:55 -0700 (PDT)

Nick,

Is your outlook 2003 MAPI profile (Configured for Exchange server and NOT for
IMAP or POP3)?? If yes!! then It is not possible to connect from Internet to
your exchange server. Because Outlook MAPI profile uses specific TCP ports
which will be usually blocked by ISP's or probably your own perimeter firewall.
You can think of using POP3 or S IMAP when connecting from Internet.

Regards
Praveen R

Nick Smith <Nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.MSExchange.org/
i am running exchange 2003 on a server 2003 computer, i have it setup correctly
and can check email with outlook 2003 on my laptop, but when i leave the
domain, aka go somewhere else with an internet connection, it can never find
the exchange server for me to check my mail. i have to use OWA, i would really
rather use outlook.  is there something in exchange i am missing to set up? i
would have thought that it would just work, but i guess not.

thanks for any help

Nick