Re: accessing exchange server from outside domain

  • From: "Carl Houseman" <c.houseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:31:23 -0400

Since you can use OWA, and you probably have a firewall or router/firewall,
you must be aware of having configured the firewall to pass http (port 80)
or https: (port 443) traffic to the Exchange server.   The reason you cannot
"find" the mail server with Outlook is because that requires much more than
ports 80 or 443.

Don't change anything in the firewall.  It's keeping your server from being
the target of hackers.  In fact, if you have port 80 open, you want to close
that, install a certificate, and only access OWA over https/443.

Now, what you are missing in Exchange is called "RPC over https".  This lets
you access the server with Outlook, securely, without a VPN.  The
requirements for this are all of the 2003 products (Windows, Exchange,
Outlook) and Windows XP on the client.

HOW TO:
Single server or without front-end servers:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833401

Front-end/Back-end architecture (URL may wrap):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/ex2k3rpc.
mspx

Carl