RE: Exchange replication

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:17:12 -0500

Interesting.  In case of hardware based solution, you would have the same
requirement and be able to meet it.  The difference is where the replication
code runs and what you get when done.  If the code runs on the hardware,
then it's abstracted from the operating system and application.  This often
results in a more stable implementation in my experience. It also tends to
have a different cost associated.

In either case, if there is corruption, then that will very likely be
replicated as well.  I mean, that's the point, isn't it?  To have an exact
replica of the original?  Bifurcating the writes is a great way to do this.
Setting up a geo cluster may also be an option if distance is a concern.

I'd say if disk is the only concern, then use RAID sets and a cluster (MCS
cluster) to mitigate the risk.  The software replication products are really
for geographically separate systems in case of datacenter disaster vs.
hardware failure.
MCS would be a lot easier and it's built into the OS already.

Al