RE: Demote an Exchange server that's on a DC?

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:02:34 -0500

1) It doesn't. The scenario associated with doing disaster recovery of
an SBS server is horrific (IMO - obviously, it works, but I hope you've
practiced it before you have to do it the first time!).

2) You have to move Exchange services to another server, deinstall
Exchange, demote the server, reinstall Exchange, move Exchange services
back to the first server. This is the only supported mechanism.

That being said - some things will still break, I think. I'm considering
specifically the situation of an enterprise CA being installed on that
box too.