RE: Demote an Exchange server that's on a DC?

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:08:53 -0500

Providing you can do this and someone else will have to clarify it.

Install Win2k3 Standard Server on another box, and join it to your SBS
like you join your workstation (do not run DCPROMO), then install
Exchange as Microsoft recommends.

In your ESM you will see there is a primary Exchange box which is
currently your SBS machine, so simply move all the mail boxes over to
your new box, and make it the primary box. Then uninstall Exchange off
your SBS machine, unless you want to have FE and BE Exchange boxes.