RE: Demote an Exchange server that's on a DC?

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:32:41 -0500

I think there is away to demote the server to with Exchange installed
but for safety sake I would do the way I suggested and you clarified. 

Andrew


-----Original Message-----
From: adrian bolzan [mailto:abolzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 6:33 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Demote an Exchange server that's on a DC?

http://www.MSExchange.org/

 Hi,

Comments in-line.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrew English [mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 
> Sent: Monday, 17 January 2005 10:20 AM
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Demote an Exchange server that's on a DC?
> 
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> Oh I see. :)
> 
> You have to make sure that your sites cert matches your sites 
> internet name. So for instances if your mail site is 
> mail.adrianssite.com you certs Netbios name must be 
> mail.adrianssite.com. 



Yes, I understand that now.  I will have to create a new certificate,
although I might move it to a FE server.
However, the problem still tsnds that I cannot edit turn off the 128-bit
encryption in Exadmin as the buttons are greyed out.  At the same time,
SSL is working.



You should have a look for the ISA 2004 
> Exchange Kit.zip on ISAserver.org to help you understand how 
> SSL has to be configured, if you don't use ISA that's okay, 
> just look at the SSL configuration part.
> 

I will look at that.  Thanks.


> My suggestion about moving Exchange still stands. 
> 


So, rather than just simply demote the server, whilst leavign exchange
on it I should:
1. move milboxes temporarily to another server (I only have some hi-spec
PC boxes)
2. remove exchange from the original DC
3. demote the server
4. re-install exchange
5. move mailboxes back to the new server.

What I would prefer to do is:
1. demote the server

Is that possible or a good idea?

Cheers,
Adrian



> Andrew
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: adrian bolzan [mailto:abolzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 6:17 PM
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Demote an Exchange server that's on a DC?
> 
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
>  
> Hi Andrew,
> 
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
> 
> I misinformed you.
> 
> The two questions were somewhat independent of one another.
> 
> We do not use SBS- we have two Win2K3 servers, both DC's, one 
> of which hosts Exchange 2K3.
> 
> The SBS question was more for general info about how SBS gets 
> around the issues reported when exchange is hosted on a DC.
> 
> Cheers,
> Adrian
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Andrew English [mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > Sent: Monday, 17 January 2005 10:09 AM
> > To: [ExchangeList]
> > Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Demote an Exchange server 
> that's on a DC?
> > 
> > http://www.MSExchange.org/
> > 
> > Providing you can do this and someone else will have to clarify it. 
> > 
> > Install Win2k3 Standard Server on another box, and join it 
> to your SBS 
> > like you join your workstation (do not run DCPROMO), then install 
> > Exchange as Microsoft recommends.
> > 
> > In your ESM you will see there is a primary Exchange box which is 
> > currently your SBS machine, so simply move all the mail 
> boxes over to 
> > your new box, and make it the primary box.
> > Then uninstall Exchange off your SBS machine, unless you 
> want to have 
> > FE and BE Exchange boxes.
> > 
> > Andrew
> > 
> > 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: adrian bolzan [mailto:abolzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 5:47 PM
> > To: [ExchangeList]
> > Subject: [exchangelist] Demote an Exchange server that's on a DC?
> > 
> > http://www.MSExchange.org/
> > 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I have seen a lot of posts that recommend not placing an Exchange 
> > server on a DC.
> > 
> > I have a coupel of questions here:
> > 
> > 1. How does SBS get around the problems that everyone mentions?
> > 2. To resolve some of these conflicting issues will a 
> demotion of the 
> > DC server that Exchange is hosted on be enough?  OR would 
> we need to 
> > go through a whole uninstall/reinstall of Win2K3 and Exchange 2K3?
> > 
> > 
> > Thanks for any thoughts,
> > 
> > Adrian
> > 
> > 
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > List Archives: 
> > http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> > Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> > World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com 
> > Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> > No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org 
> > Windows Security Resource Site: 
> > http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library: 
> > http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: 
> > http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org 
> > Discussion List as:
> > andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To unsubscribe visit
> > http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > 
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > List Archives: 
> > http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> > Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> > World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com 
> > Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> > No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org 
> > Windows Security Resource Site: 
> > http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library: 
> > http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: 
> > http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org 
> > Discussion List as: abolzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To 
> > unsubscribe visit 
> > http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
> Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org 
> Discussion List as:
> andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe visit
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
> Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org 
> Discussion List as: abolzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe visit 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 

------------------------------------------------------
List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
------------------------------------------------------
Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
------------------------------------------------------
You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe visit
http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Other related posts: