[etni] korczak - quote of the week

  • From: "avi tsur" <tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:48:33 +0000

Shabbat shalom

Respect and admiration goes to what is big, what takes up more room. Small
stands for common and uninteresting. Little people ? little wants, little
joys, little sorrows.

Impressive ? a big city, high mountains, a tall tree. We say: "A great deed,
a great man."

A small child is light, there is less of him. We must bend down, reach down
to him.

Even worse - he is weak.

We can lift him, toss him in the air, make him sit when he doesn't want to,
force him to stop running, foil his effort.

If he doesn't listen to me, I have a reserve of power. I say: "Don't go ?,
don't move ?, get out of the way ?, give it back" He knows he must. How
often he fruitlessly tries to resist before he understands, gives in, gives
up.

Who and when, under what extraordinary conditions, will dare to push, pull,
strike an adult? And how commonplace and harmless is a smack, a sharp tug at
an arm, a painful squeeze of a child!

The world has changed. It is no longer muscle power that achieves, defends
against an enemy. No longer does that power wrest command, prosperity and
security from land, forests and seas. A subjugated slave ? the machine.
Muscles have lost their exclusive right and their singular value. Now
intellect and learning are to be respected.

The Child's Right to Respect ~ Janusz Korczak