[etni] korczak - quote of the week

  • From: "avi tsur" <tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:47:45 +0000

In one of his earlier trips to Zurich while still a university student in
1901, brought him a closer look at Pestalozzi's educational principles and
practices with which he was fascinated since youth. Pestalozzi, as it turned
out, was one of Korczak's favorite models, one where the child was the
centre-point of schooling, the focus. Korczak's own educational writings
bear frequent references to Pestalozzi, while his own 'school' later bore a
striking resemblance to Pestalozzi's philosophy.

"We will build a school where children will not be learning dead letters
from a life-less page; where, rather, they will learn how people live, why
they live, how they can live differently, what they need to learn and do in
order to live full of the free spirit."

When I am Little Again and The Child's Right to Respect ~ Janusz Korczak