[etni] NBA booklet and some question

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:41:04 -0800 (PST)

To Judy and everyone else who I'm sure put many, many hours into the NBA
booklet,

Kudos on a job well-done. The booklet is clear and concise, yet includes
basically all the information that we need to know. (I say basically because
teachers HAVE come up with various questions, and I have a few of my own as
well.) It was a real pleasure for me to read it. Now I feel that I really have
everything I need to know about the Bagrut at my fingertips, as compared to the
past when I had to look up old chozrei mancalim, call up inspectors and others
"in the know", or post my question on Etni. This booklet will definitely make
life a lot easier for us English teachers.

I was also happy to see the order form for the booklet available on the Etni
site, since this is one booklet I feel every English teacher MUST have a copy
of, at least until the new Bagrut has been assimilated by all.

Now, for a few questions and comments:

1) Will we be getting more sample exams over the course of the year? I am
planning to have my 11th graders take modules A, B and C (some only A) this
year, and feel that as good as the sample exams are, they're not enough to work
with. I would like more sample exams for practice and to give as Matkonot. Is
there any chance of this happening?

2) Regarding the extensive reading program, the booklet says that 1-point
students need 2 book reports, and that 3-point students need 2 book reports.
Does this mean that 3-point students need 2 book reports when doing module A +
another 2 when doing modules B and C, or do they need only 2 in all? (The
reason I ask is because at the bottom of the same page, regarding the
literature program, it is made very clear what the difference is between
3-point students who have already done module A and 3-point students who
haven't done module A.)

3) Bari already asked this, but in a slightly different fashion: Let's say that
I have students doing only module A this year, and next year they do modules
B-E, with the intention of having the 3-point mark to rely on should they fail
the four-point test. Do they have to be tested twice orally in the same year?
After all, the oral test for 3 points is different from the 4-point oral test.
If they take only the 4-point test, what would they do if they failed the
4-point test?

Thanks and all the best,
Rivka