[etni] Korczak quote of the week

  • From: "avi tsur" <tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:35:53 +0000

In the fall of 1926 the Jewish children of Warsaw found out about an
exciting new project in Korczak's workshop, through a letter addressed to
them in their parents' newspaper, Our Review, a Zionist Polish-language
daily. "To My Future Readers," it began, and went on to announce a newspaper
for children, the Little Review, which would appear as a supplement every
Friday. Janusz Korczak, the writer of the letter-who identified himself as
the author of King Matt the First - explained how the idea for the newspaper
had come to him: "When I stopped being a doctor, I didn't know what to do
with myself, so I started writing books. But writing books takes a long
time, and I don't have enough patience.

It takes a lot of paper, too, and your hand aches. So I thought maybe it's
better to start a newspaper, because then the readers will help you. I
cannot do it alone."

He needs their assistance, he tells them. They must all become
correspondents and send articles and letters regularly to the office at 7
Nowolipki, "a big building with a garden nearby, and an antenna on the roof
which picks up news from all over the world." They were to write about the
things that made them both happy and sad, and the problems that they needed
help with. There would be twelve telephones for anyone who wanted to call in
a story, an editor for boys and another for girls, and "an old one with
spectacles to help see that everything gets done." The purpose of the paper,
he explained, was "to defend children."

Lifton, B. J, (1988). The King of Children, St Martin's Press, New York