[etni] Re: Korczak quote of the week

  • From: "Gary Zone" <gary_zone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:38:32 +0000

>"You will never understand children
>      If you belittle their qualities."
>              Janusz Korczak

I do believe in discipline in the classroom, but after that,
positive-stroking is essential.
When I was a one-on-one volunteer 'reading partner', I was always whispering
'very good' or 'try again, we'll get the word together as partners; you
can't fail'. I emphasized 'partnership'. Kids were never afraid or
embarrassed to read with me. They actually looked forward to our weekly time
together. We also alternated reading pages. Positive-stroking costs nothing
but is worth millions. Don't we all wish we were more postively-stroked when
we were kids? What's more, my postive-stroking postively-stroked me in
return; it just felt so good.
Gary (Gershon)
Calgary, Canada