[etni] Korczak quote of the week

  • From: "avi tsur" <tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:11:22 +0000

Dear friends
It was pointed out to me that I was not clear in my message last week about
the 3session series we are giving on Korczak. We had the first session in
August and yes, the feed back has been tremendous so we have decided to
repeat this session and it will be held later in the year at a date which we
will set with the participants who wish to take part and get the 14 hour
gmul. Our up-coming session to be held in December) will focus on Korczak's
legacy and how to implement his ideas in our English lessons/classes. Our
guest for this session will be Shlomo Nadel, a graduate of the orphanage.
Apart from being a lovely person, Shlomo is one of the last to be able to
share Korczak with us. He was (as a child in the orphanage) the photographer
and most of the photographs we have of Korczak and the orphanage are
authentic photos which he will share with us. Each picture has a story; each
picture is a moment in history. Each and every picture is a must and like
the first session, you don't want to miss this one.

For any further information don't hesitate to contact us. Shabbat Shalom
Avi  and Marsha

Both in theory and in practice Korczak was always careful to refrain from
any arbitrary or impulsive use of his absolute power as an adult. The good
pedagogue, he believed, is always seeking to improve and instruct himself in
his work and is thereby able to preserve and renew his links with the child.

"Before he asks a child to wash the floor, the teacher must do it several
times himself and must observe how the other children do it and what they
say about it. It is more important to teach them how to wring out a mop or
how a straw mattress is made than to order that their beds be made
spotlessly as though it were a military barracks."
Janusc Korczak