[etni] Re: Fw: teach them to read

  • From: Sandra Yosef-Hassidim <hassidim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx, ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:50:25 -0700 (PDT)

This is so true, of English lessons in general! My son just started English in
3rd grade. He is very excited about it and although he is not this "model
pupil" at all, he was really looking forward to studying the language. After
2lessons he already got the idea and asked me :Mom, why doesn't the English
teacher just teach like the other teachers? We always have to sing silly songs
and repeat words together. All the kids start shouting and no one understands
what's going on. Why can't we just sit and do exercices in our workbooks, like
we do in other subjects? "
We often feel we have to entertain the kids, but actually they just really want
to STUDY-in the old-fashioned way!
Sandra

From: byk - byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: teach them to read

Wendy's comment about 'teaching them to read' was very true.  Over the
years, I have taught many pupils who couldn't read, to do so.  It can be
done, but it does take patience and trained teachers to do it.  Also time!
This is a commodity teachers have so much of, right?  Reading doesn't always
come automatically to all people, and many elementary school teachers
haven't been trained to do it.

  Then again, I'm sure we've all taught students who read beautifully,
sound as if they understand every word, then ask you what 'mother' is?

HOWEVER, do remember that some people are genuinely dislexic, and their
inability to read or to read fluently is a real handicap.  Imagine my joy,
this Shavuot, when, over dinner, my 31 year old daughter said to me "You
know, Mummy, I can read.  Bring me a newspaper."  I did, and she proceeded
to read it fluently.  This miracle was accomplished because there were
things she wanted to read on the internet, so she struggled.  She still says
' I didn't went,'  though!

The final word is that, obviously, far too many students are getting
dispesations, because when you've charged 3 or 4 thousand shekels for an
assessment, it is only human nature to want to give something for it.
Though I  hesitate to suggest it, given our wonderful bureaucracy, I believe
the answer lies in  much more carefully controlled tests, administered by he
ministry.  And much more attention paid to teaching reading, and less to
songs and games, many of which are only learned in a garbled fashion.  Kids
love to learn to read in second and third grade, and the teacher can give
them hours of practice which would bore older children.

Jennifer Byk