[etni] Re: Fw: teach them to read

  • From: "Arlene Porath" <arleneporath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 05:44:19 +0300

I second this suggestion.  "Teach them to read".  Invest more time in
basics.

Another easy solution to help the thousands of test stressed learners is to
ease up on  time constraints.  An added time increment on tests makes a huge
difference for most of these students.  25% is usually not nearly enough.
How about pushing the Ministry to give 50% or even 100% extra time on
testing?  Why the time stress?  This carries over into our Israeli attitude
in industry that producing quickly, in order to save money, is more
important than quality results.

I have found that many of my brightest and most creative students need lots
of time to think.  If we reduce the time stress, we might easily solve some
of the problems.

Arlene Porath