[etni] Fw: teach them to read

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:04:29 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: Fran Levin - fran_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re: teach them to read

Whilst I agree with Jennifer that there is no substitute for a systematic and thorough approach to teaching reading, I've also seen that there are many students who become interested and motivated to read by being exposed to English through songs, games, Internet, etc etc. Most of my teaching experience is with Special Education. I clearly remember a very heart-warming moment after using Elton John's lyrics "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word" for a pre-Yom Kippur lesson in a Special Needs class in a Junior High school. A student who had previously refused to participate in any reading activities asked me to bring her more pop-song lyrics and her interest in learning to read grew out of this. I think that as long as the activitites promote reading, (and there are many games that do this in a creative way) they enrich the reading programme and can encourage a discouraged student to try again.

Fran Levin

** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org or - http://www.etni.org.il **