[etni] Literature

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:31:09 -0700 (PDT)

I absolutely agree with Avi, Adele, and all the other teachers who favor
teaching literature. By us, we are very careful to adhere to the literature
program, and both the teachers and students love it - I've even had a student
tell me - very sincerely - that she couldn't sleep at night because she was
waiting so anxiously for the next part of a story we were reading! (And yes,
they do Bagrut practice as well, and manage to pass quite nicely, thank you.)
Unfortunately, I have met teachers from more than one school where literature
is ignored altogether, and I am always horrified to hear that.

When the new literature modules were first announced, I decided to take a "wait
and see" attitude rather than be the first to test the waters, and opted not to
join the pilot program (especially as it seemed that the teachers participating
in the program were expected to cram way too much literature into one year).
But I've heard a lot of good things about it now, and am anxious to begin the
course this year. I don't like the idea of a set list of pieces of literature
to teach, so my school won't be choosing the test option. But so long as the
other option is available, I don't see this as posing extra work for me, since
I give my students literature tasks etc. anyway.

All the best,
Rivka