[etni] Fw: re: Teaching wihout a License

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:27:35 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Kim Ettinger - ksettinger@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Teaching wihout a License

I agree with you Leah.  I made aliyah with 21 years of teaching experience,
teaching licenses from 4 States, letters of recommendation and an MA degree.
All of my certificates, licenses, and transcripts have been reviewed and
accepted.  I took the Morim Olim course and the NBA course. I have been
teaching for 4 years.  I'm still waiting for that final stamp of approval
from the Misrad HaChinuch.  It's frustrating to have gone through each and
every step only to find out that I still can't get it.  Recently I received
a letter indicating that I didn't take English Literature.......BUT, I did.
I sent my transcripts ONE MORE TIME.  I truly don't understand why the
administration makes it so difficult for qualified teachers.

Kim Ettinger

Leah wrote:
> Sorry Barry, but I don't find this amusing. I have been teaching in Israel
for four 1/2 years now (since making aliyah). In the states I had over 10
years teaching experience, a teaching license and a master's degree. I  made
aliyah fror the express purpose of teaching Jewish kids (the public schools
in my state had no Jewish students). I felt that I wanted to use my talent
to help my own people. I got a job after being here four months and have
been working ever since. I'm currently teaching the higher level English
students 4th -8th grades in Alon Shvut. It's a full time job!  I love
teaching and I think I deserve an Israeli teaching certificate.
> I have heard from other successful degreed English teachers who also have
not had the time to take the required courses because they are busy working
as teachers. One woman has been teaching for 20 years! If the Ministry would
grant qualified teachers like us a license, it would inspire us to earn
g'mul with continuing education. It would be a win-win situation.