[etni] Re: [FWD: Re: Oral Bagrut - an interesting experience]

  • From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:56:46 +0200

> Well, then, if the teacher KNEW that they cheated and gave them a zero, they
> HAVE been penalized, haven't they?  Why didn't you ask the teacher?

Only because this was not my experience -- the original poster was
anonymous and wasn't me (in fact, I'm not even testing orally this
year).

> The
> point is, though, that the oral project tests the kids on an interview and
> the project. The kids are supposed to talk about their project and you give
> them a grade on how they organized and presented their stuff.

Yes, exactly, which is exactly why I don't agree with the posters who
felt that the students should have been given a zero on the oral exam.
 They DID talk about "their" project.  If it wasn't theirs, they were
penalized by their teacher -- that's not the job of the oral examiner.

> I have no doubt that there is great potential in implementing projects, and
> that when used for testing, the backwash in the classrooms can be fantastic
> if done properly; devastating, if done without proper training.

I agree that they do have some benefit, though after two years of
doing projects, I'm still not convinced that the benefit justifies the
effort.

Bari