[etni] Education Then and Now and There and Here

  • From: Barry <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gary_zone@xxxxxxxxxxx, ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,drjamesbacker@xxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:46:02 +0200

Looxury!

        You had it easy.

-----  In Winnipeg, we had to get up 4:30 AM in 60 Below weather in total
darkness, beat the beavers away from our doorstep, and go out side to melt
the snow to boil our car engines until they defrosted.

    Then we went to school where we had 57 different subjects, of which no
less than 14 were about the history, chemistry and lexical variety of snow.
I studied Latin, Greek, Urdu, Purdue, Algonquin and Zubbin Metis until I
graduated from Grade 23.  Don't even get me started on the extra Jewish
subjects we took in the afternoon.  Upon coming to Israel after highschool
graduation, my academic level was assessed and I was immediately made Dean
of Studies at the Barry Lawn University of Rammat Gan.

    Just try telling that to today's youth, whose only worries are did the
teacher give them the correct answer on the MaiTsav test, and AIDS.  They
don't even want to listen.

                            /BArry