[etni] 9th grade compositions

  • From: Peri E <perrye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:37:58 +0200

Replying to Nehama:
My 9th graders choose their own topics. For the imaginationally challenged I
offer my own topics, or suggest topics chosen by their friends.  My rationale
was that since writing essays is a new experience for all of them, the
objective at this initial stage should be to just get them accustomed to
producing a composition of this length (300 words minimum). I make very few
corrections, along the margins, I add a small note with one or two main points,
not more ( i.e. Capitalization, or some other basic grammatical point), so that
they don't get back a sheet full of markings and teachers' scribbles.  I
haven't even mentioned "intro, body, conclusion"; let them get used to writing
( and, who knows, to the pleasure of writing!) and the nitpicking can wait for
later grades.
I must say that this is my second year with these students and  a level of
mutual appreciation exists between teacher and students that fosters their
cooperation on this issue. Also, this is their only homework, and they
appreciate this fact.