[elky] Re: The floor is at the house

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thomas Straiker <tmstraiker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:51:53 -0600

I was just telling Cindy that one of these days I will have to just sit
around and be a couch potato. Hasn't happened for me for a while. Glad you
got some Tom, you need it!

I started the day helping un-box the flooring that Nate brought in the
house. before that was done, Cindy's Mom came over to see the kitchen work,
and for me to fix the headliner in her car (again,,,, it was 102 degrees
the day I put it in,and I think the adhesive rebelled).

So I went out to move her car to the drive, and hear a clanking in the
back. The muffler strap had broken, and it was just banging around loose in
the back. I doubled up some plumbers strap and tied it up again. The whole
top of the muffler is rusty though, and needs replacing. Then I tackled the
redo of the headliner. It went without drama, and it should last longer
this time.

I made a shelf for the "juke box" (my old laptop that looks at the tunes on
the upstairs machine). That laptop dies instantly if it is not plugged in,
so it's a garage unit now.  I have lots of room for it with the new shelf,
and even relocated the battery charger for the drill.

Then I busted up all the old sub floor and put it in the dumpster. Cindy
picked up the cabinets while I was working in the garage.

There was a little issue with the extra weight on the joist holding the
heater that I had to address before I started climbing around in the attic
there. The other side has a shelf with the topper and a lot more heavy
stuff. The center beam in the attic was lower by about an inch to 1.5" at
the scuttle opening, and the sheet rock tape was cracking there. When I
opened the scuttle, I saw that the board tacking the center ceiling beam to
the joists at the peak of the roof had separated at the peak. I put the saw
horses under the area, put the floor jack on them, then used a 4x4 to bring
the joists back to position. I used 4 - 2x4's down from the roof joists, to
the ceiling joists to reinforce the area on the 2 main ceiling joists.

Before I left for the lumber, I noticed a gas smell coming from the Elky. A
quick look under the hood revealed the fuel line was leaking at the
throttle body and I tightened up the 2 clamps there. No more leak.

About 3 PM, I was still outside, and started cutting in to the roof. nate
helped a lot from the garage attic area, and inside while I was on the
roof. I buttoned it up on top, then wired the electric to the light fixture
inside the attic.

We bled the air out, and lit the pilot. Then I turned the power switch on,
and the fan started up, and the burner fired! It was about 20 minutes
later, with the temp set at 50, and the thermostat shut off the fan and
burners. So it worked very well.

Now we will be able to stain the cabinets in the garage in comfort.

Needless to say, after being outside all day, except when Nate forced me to
eat a Subway (his treat, what a kid!), I am pooped. I am pretty sore from
bending over for just about everything, and probably lifting too much here
and there. Advil's are my friend.

I didn't get the kitchen wall sanded and primed around the window like I
wanted, but I'll be off Tuesday, and Thursday yet this week. So I'll get
there.

Tired yet?
JC