[elky] Re: Sputter

  • From: "ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:55:56 -0400

>I'm not ruling out ignition, I pulled a plug today and it looked OK.
>They get a oil fouled quicker than normal since I gapped the rings
>with higher gaps for boost.

   Forgot about the forced induction.

>Blasting has become easier the more I do it - the one thing I'll do
>before the next bag goes in: screen the sand!  I spend a fair amount
>of time pulling the gun apart to get pebbles out.

   I have a neat set up I'll have to take a pic of. It has a motor little
hopper that fits into the top of a cat litter container and has a motor to
shake it. I also picked up several mesh screens at a dollar store.

   I don't use sand cause of the silicosis thing. I use coal slag or garnet.

>I have decided to do the whole underside with the epoxy, then scuff
>for the chassis paint (or 1120 then chassis paint if I decide to use
>it).  I want to scuff it since I'm getting some trash in the primer.
>I'm not sure where it's coming from - I blow all the sand away - but
>since I'm painting outside it could be anything.  Scuffing epoxy
>primer is a pain, it's not really made for sanding, as I'm sure you
>know.

  Yeah it isn't meant to be sanded and it doesn't. It's tough.

>Ideally the entire underside would get blasted in one day, then I'd
>spray the epoxy primer, the 1120, then the chassis paint.  The reality
>is I can only get a 2' x 6" section done in a day, and I want primer
>on it so it won't flash rust.  I've let the blasted underside go a day
>before paint but I don't want to risk any longer.

   Yup I know how it goes... Just keep doing what you're doing.

>  I'm using the
>Harbor Freight gun with these instructions:

>http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html

>You've even got a reference in there... nice.

      Yeah I have my name refrenced all over the place...

  I'm still learning and
>I get the occasional run, but I'm happy with the overall progress.

       The 43430 works pretty good but it's an air hog. The 47016 is the
low tech version and sells for $15 on sale. I ended up using a binks M1G on
my elky with a slightly dented tip... I would like to scuff it up and
reshoot a better coat on it but.....

      The big issue is getting enough air volume to the gun to work right.
Big hose and fittings.

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE