[elky] Re: Oh, hell!

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:46:16 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting transmission problem, might want to rethink the chain of events
 at the time it shut down. We know it was running hard, and lost the drive
shaft.  The sudden stop, or jerk/torque could have damaged the pump, and
that would give  you no power in any gear. Or when you shift up top it's not
happening at,or  inside the trans. Either way its toast. I suspect a crack in
the case  internality from the drive shaft that is bleeding off the pressure.
Just my two cents.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 10/30/2011 12:57:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Race Car.  What  else?

Yesterday I got the driveshaft in it, and I was gonna unload it  from the
trailer.

But the battery was dead,  even though it had been disconnected.  Maybe a
current leak was  discovered when Marlo and his posse loaded it on the
trailer and they  disconnected the battery after it was close to flat.

So after charging  the battery, Jim came over and we were ready to unload.
First thing that  happened when I fired up the motor was the ejection of a
buncha water and  possibly oil from the exhaust:

This wasn't all that encouraging, except that a  check of the radiator
didn't show any oil and the oil (on the dipstick) didn't  show any water.  This
one remains a mystery.

Then the long-awaited cleaning  of the whiteboard.  We started a whole new
list.

The trailer ramps  had to be modified slightly so we could fix 'em in place
on the trailer...this  took a little time, but we "got 'er done."

We decided that the best  place to unload the race car would be with the
rear axle of the trailer in the  gutter:

This  worked fine...until I put the transmission into reverse.  Nothing.
No drive to the wheels at all.  Shit.

We ended up pushing  the car off the trailer (the ramps worked out fine)
and then using a floor  jack to get the rear end off the ground, we dragged
the rear end of the car  around so that we could use our high-tech push truck
arrangement:

Poor folks has poor  ways, it seems.  I tried firing the motor up and
testing all gear  positions, but there's nothing there but a box of neutrals.
Damn!, said  he.  That transmission had less that 10 miles on it.  The park
pawl  still works, so it isn't a broken output shaft and it's not hemorrhaging
ATF,  so I don't really know what the problem is.

But for the moment,  the race car is back in the garage and the licensed
cars (Burb and Camaro) are  outside in the driveway while I try to figger out
what's wrong.  Here's  some of my dilemma:  I'm gonna have to replace the
rear end.   Robert, is that 8.5" peg-leg still available?  It may be the
ticket to  solve that problem.  Then there's the transmission thing.  I'll pull

the pan and see what I find, but my head is screaming, "T-56!  I know a  T-5
won't handle 500+ hp, (I guess a World Class T-5 might be close) so that
leaves a Tremec 5-speed, the T-56 or a built-up TH200-4R or TH700R4.  I
spose if the rear gear was low (numerically) enough I could use a Muncie or
T-10.

I really don't know what I'll do at this time.  But  I'll think of
something (to mis-quote Arthur C. Clarke in "A Space  Odyssey.")

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image