[elky] Re: Fwd: HOW HOT IS IT?????

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:41:36 -0600

Good answer.  I'd forgotten about the temperature factor.

On 7/20/2011 6:27 AM, Jared Ryan wrote:
No. 100% relative humidity simply means that the air is fully saturated. It is the point at which the air cannot absorb any more water. It is possible to have 100% relative humidity and not have any precipitation or even fog. It happens in Houston all the time. The air *feels* thick, but there is no visible water.

Remember that relative humidity is a measure of how much water is in the air, compared to what it *could* hold at that temperature. Warmer air can hold more water than colder air. 40° F air at 100% RH has a tiny fraction of the amount of water as 90° F air at 100% RH.

Absolute humidity is the measure of the actual amount of water in the air, but relative humidity means more to us in terms of how the air feels and especially the heat index (a measure of how hot the air feels), so RH is what is normally given in weather reports.

On Jul 20, 2011, at 6:46 AM, STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx <mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey isn't 100% humidity solid water?
Smokey Mt Frank
In a message dated 7/19/2011 10:32:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, johncgg@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:johncgg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

    Not entirely true Robert. It was 89 at 8 AM this morning here.
    All the windows had condensation because of the humidity. Fog
    driving Nate to the train today was so thick you couldn't see a
    block. 95%+ humidity. Liquid air.

    Still not nearly as hot as you. I couldn't do it. I could handle
    Duluth better in the winter. Give me what you flew in to in Jan.
    here, over your heat down there, any day.
    JC

    On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                              It's been 100* or higher every day
        since the end of may. Nightly lows are rarely below 80. The
        other night it was 84 for a low. And it's only around that
        temp for about 2 hrs. It's usually the same temp at 9 pm as
        it is 9 am and that's right now and it's 96*.
                                I haven't figured out the complaints
        with the heat all the sudden in many areas up north. You guys
        cool down at night... After you have daily temps of 103+
        every day 90*s in the early morning and late night and
        everything is heat soaked, buildings trees the ground and no
        appreciable rain since last year I don't want to hear
        complaints about the heat.

                              On the upside.... We installed the 2
        ton window AC in the shop today. Works good. Might get it
        down to the 90s in there. Need another foot of insulation all
        around.

                                Robert Adams

        On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM, John Christensen
        <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

             You need to get something that will blend in with the
            locals Frank. A tired Elky that you can store stuff in.

            Cindy says the Mini temp gauge says 98 in the shade, 101
            in the sun.

            JC

            On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM,
            <STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
            <mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

                It's not my dog, but thought you get a kick out of
                it. We are fine, Dorothy is volunteering at the
                hospital, trying to get her foot in the door there
                for a job.
                   I sold my SUV so we are now down to one vehicle.
                Unless we hit the lotto, I don't see another hot rod
                in my future. Still smiling in North Carolina
                Smokey Mt Frank
                In a message dated 7/19/2011 12:26:44 P.M. Eastern
                Daylight Time, printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                <mailto:printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

                    poor baby!

                    we're not getting it.  I just took the dogs for
                    their walk and it's 56* and sprinkling.  We
                    started down to the El Camino and Chevelle show
                    in Oregon Sunday and quit before we got there it
                    was raining so hard.  Figured no one would take a
                    nice car to park in a muddy field in the rain.  A
                    few nice warm days but for the most part it's
                    just cool and wet.  Nothing will change until
                    that hot stuff in the middle of the country
                    decides to move east.

                    How are youz doing?

                    Mary
                    Smokey Mt Frank