[elky] Re: Drag Racing Report

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:25:23 -0600

On 10/23/2011 9:15 AM, Chris Lindh wrote:
I'd like to find another land speed racing event within a reasonable driving distance...

Aha!  Salt Fever has ya in its grasp.  :)

Lessee here...there's the Texas Mile is in Beeville, Tx...about 900 miles.  A little long for a weekly test n' tune, but still doable for one or two meets a year.  Then there's the newly relocated Maxton Mile which has moved from Maxton, NC...that's about 350 miles.  A lot closer, but still not a commute.  But they ain't there any more.  They moved to Wilmington, OH, and that's about 500 miles from ya.

They're all closer than the 2000 miles between you and the salt flats.  There are also venues at Loring in Maine and the newest one is the Mojave Mile located between Barstow and Bakersfield, CA...but that one's about 2200 miles from ya.

You may have to find a lightly-used or abandoned airport with a 2 or 3 mile runway and start the SETA (South East Timing Association) for LSR folks in that part of the country, now that the ECTA ain't at Maxton no mo'.  I bet you'd have some folks like Bill Reilly:

(who lives in Florida and has competed at Maxton and on the salt) who would jump at a chance to run at a venue closer to home.

Here's a video I found of that car on the dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5kyCJIZII

ps.  Keith Turk, half-owner of the ECTA lives in Enterprise, AL.  I dunno how far you are from there, but ya never know.  Here's his Facebook profile:
http://www.facebook.com/keith.turk and his email is kturk@xxxxxxxxxxxx

It might be interesting to see if there's support from that corner for a SE LSR venue.