Re: [ee_shoppahs] Andy Grove on outsourcing jobs

  • From: andrew lindenburgh <andrew.lindenburgh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ee_shoppahs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 20:29:53 -0700

Gentlemen

Be careful what you wish for ... in principle you are correct ... a fair use
tax is a fine idea ...
but I just returned from UK where income taxes are worse than here and
getting more severe ... and VAT is going up
from November (17.5 -> 20%) ... once a tax is in place it is rarely
rescinded or reduced because the tax collectors jobs would be
lost!!!

I have been musing on taxes ... where and how they are spent ... can they be
"saved" in a special account for a rainy day ...
certainly not in CA ... we need some legal changes.

My tuppence worth would be an increase in gasoline tax perhaps +$3 to
$5/gallon ... but only when we figure out how to spend/allocate the
additional revenue.  We do need to drive smaller cars ... I rented a 1.2L
5-door Vauxhall Corsa in UK this time and although I had to use the gears to
get the acceleration I needed at times, avg 40 mpg @ ~$9/gallon was very
desirable.  Note .. not a diesel tax 'though.
Such a tax would have us all in low cc cars in ~3 years ... less driving ...
more emphasis on performance/efficiency than largesse/luxury.
Might also affect our urban planning ... a local store nearby for milk, etc
... green belts ... telecommuting :), etc.

andrew