[ebooktalk] Re: RECENTLY READ

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:59:29 +0100

Having watched the original TV series all those years ago and, as mentioned
earlier, having read some of Palin's diaries, I think I'd rather gnaw off my
own left arm than read one of his travel books.  I'd guess the sense of whimsey
would be over powering.

My own recent reading has included my third Charles Cumming novel in about six
weeks.  This one, which I'm tantalisingly close to finishing, is called A Spy
by Nature.  It concerns a young man's recruitment into the British Intelligence
service.  The central character is rather loathsomely self obsessed, but this
is very much part of the weave of the book.  I enjoyed the other two better.
I've also just finished Horns by Joe Hill.  Just when you think you've read
everything by Stephen King, along comes his son with more books to stretch the
imagination.  This one concerns a man who discovers horns growing out of the
sides of his head.  and unsurprisingly, they have disturbing properties.  I
think he is a more mannered writer than is dad, but doesn't have quite the
facility with story telling.