[duxuser] Re: importing html documents in to dux bury

  • From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:14:32 +0100

George said:

No, I mean what program created it?  NotePad, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, Word
or what?  Some HTML is manually written (in things like NotePad) and does
not therefore always contain proper HTML, even though it may display OK in
I.E. and such like.

Dave responds.

A guy from W3C wrote a program to tidy up improper html, to make it
easier to read, more accessible etc.

Its called tidy, runs on windows,
has web page http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/ .

Its a dos command, needs to be run from the command prompt.

tidy -help produces a help file.

Basic command is tidy -m file.html
which cleans up the file.

tidy options file tells tidy what options to use.
Various options, the ones I use most are,

clean=yes, which removes all presentational tags.
drop-empty-paras=yes, causes empty paragraphs to be removed.
enclose-text=yes, causes all content to be put in paragraph tags,
which helps importing.

write-back=yes, causes the original file to be changed, and
is a configuration file alternative to the -m command line option.

Options can be saved into a text file, and used regularly,
so you don't have to remember them. Say you save them into
tidy.cfg, then call tidy up using,
tidy -config tidy.cfg file.html, where file.html is the file to be
cleaned up.

HTH DaveP.

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk