[duxuser] Re: dux/.sct file

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:36:10 -0500

Hi Theresa and George,

I tried to replicate this problem by moving a file to a floppy, clicking on the file, and translating it. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for this situation, I didn't get the error message. That tells me that on my system DBTW knows where to find the correct .SCT file. Judging by the error message you quoted, Theresa, it seems as if DBTW is trying to open a .SCT file on the memory stick when it should be looking for that file in the Duxbury folder on the C drive. That leads me to wonder about the Duxbury.ini file, which is located in c:\Windows\ on the PC. I opened that file on my system in Notepad and found the following two lines:

FilesSearchPath=C:\Duxbury\;C:\DbtDocs\
ConfigurationFilesDirectory=C:\Duxbury

George, what would happen if one or both of these lines were missing from Theresa's Duxbury.ini file? Would DBTW try to open a .SCT file in whatever folder it started in? It might be worth seeing if there is a .SCT file on the memory stick and temporarily renaming it with an extension of "XYZ" so that DBTW won't find it. If the problem goes away, then it's time to see what's in the Duxbury.ini file. I'm guessing that one of the two lines shown above is either wrong or missing. George, do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Steve

On Saturday 11/1/03 23:59 Kimaone@xxxxxxx wrote:
George,

I don't want to open an ".sct" file. I just want to open a duxbury file on the memory stick and it comes up "unable to open .sct file". I just store my document that I want to translate on a memory stick instead of a floppy disk. My laptop doesn't have a floppy storage spot.

Let me explain this again. I have some "down time" at work when I choose to do some of my braille translation. So I type in a book or a ditto or something on my laptop in Duxbury Win. I save it on a memory sick in my laptop. After shutting down the memory stick properly I take it out and when I have a chance I take it to the PC in a different location and insert my memory stick in my card reader on my PC and open Dux Win. I go to "file" and "open" and go to the memory stick. I click on the duxbury file on my memory stick that I want to translate. It comes up in a print copy of Dux Win but when I go to translate it so I can emboss it the screen reads something like "unable to recognize .sct file". So I just copy/paste the document on a "new" duxbury file and translate it and it does translate and then embosses it beautifully. I was just puzzled as to what a .sct file was and I am still puzzled as to why my Dux Win program won't translate from a memory stick. It will work right off of a floppy or a CD Rom but not a memory stick.

But no, I won't try to open an .sct file. It sounds like it is something way beyond me. I will leave that to you and your colleagues in the tech department.

I hope this helps.

Theresa

* * * * This message is via list duxuser at freelists.org. * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with * unsubscribe * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other subscription * options by visiting //www.freelists.org. The list archive * is also located there. * Duxbury Systems' web site is http://www.duxburysystems.com * * *