[drivingpairs] Re: Harness and Horse Choices

  • From: Whileaway3@xxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:18:44 EST

Kathy,
    Thank you for the valuable response. You bring up some very good points.
    My main goal for driving would be for recreation, with the intention of
conditioning and training my horses. I had seen pictures of Paso Finos in
driving competitions; so had not realized gaited horses weren't eligible for
CDE's.
I do have a pair of older Paso Fino geldings who unfortunately DO know how to
trot. :) So if I ever decided to compete, I suppose they would be my pair.
    The vast majority of my driving is limited by time and geography. During
the week I must limit my drives to 2 hours or less, with Sunday afternoon open
to longer drives. In my home area there isn't much available besides road
driving, so that would preclude the marathon type driving. I only mentioned
CDEs
in passing, as I'm not sure that would be for me. However, if I ever decided
to try one, I would want my equipment and horses to be equal to the task. I do
admire the turnouts that I see in the driving magazines. On one of my first
drives with my POA gelding, he was put to a cob sized Meadowbrook. I couldn't
believe the response of the automobile drivers! I even had one gentleman get
out
of his minivan to take pictures. Poor Salty was groomed, but not Spiffyed, by
any means! After that, we made sure his white mane and tail were WHITE, and
that I wore something better than stable clothes.
    I appreciate your opinion about the breast collars and neck collars. I am
very cognizant of keeping my equines clean and comfortable. When I started
driving I prevailed upon DH to install a hot water heater in the barn so the
horses could have warm water. I think your comments about the fit of harness
are
very valuable, so much so that I am printing out your post. I am reading the
archives, month by month, and am enjoying them immensely.
    I probably will purchase the pairs harness from either Camptown or
Nearside Harness. I like the styling and apparent fit better than what is
available
at the Amish shops.
    Thank you so much for your post.
    Judy