[dps-chat] Re: geographical slang expressions ...

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 07:20:57 +0800

'Morning ALL ...

On 12/12/2016 6:32 AM, Archie wrote:

> btw, Liz's comment was in relation to a long-standing (50years +) marital situation

I just had to congratulate John (Archie) and Liz (Buff) on the "50+" milestone ... and assure the general ALL that this is one case where an obsession with family history hasn't driven a couple apart, except for the interstate rivalries over ancestral roots <g>.

I first met this couple back in the late 70s in the early days of personal computing when they ran the "Sega computer users' group" and our common interest was the computer my eldest son was experimenting with.

My next meeting was almost a decade later in the Battye Library where they were working on assembling the original 'Reverse Marriage Index' ... they can even be blamed for the crazy sounding name which describes the original project so well!

They are responsible for the years 1906-1920 which were probably the most tedious to transcribe, even if there were less marriages in those years. They also followed directly on from the consolidated Pioneers Index that had just been released.

At that time we were still operating the fido-net version of this forum out of the 'Dark Closet BBS' and they took my invitation under consideration. As you can gather, the rest is history, and although Liz has been a regular contributor ever since, I was delighted when John approached me recently and said he wanted back in.

I'm sure that everyone, contributors and lurkers alike, welcome his input.

Cheers, ROB!

rnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx