[dps-chat] A great view Bendigo 1852-65 reviewed through old and wise eyes in 1917

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 09:21:46 +0800

G'day ALL ...

As you know, I've been lost in old-time Bendigo (Sandhurst) this week and came across this fantastic re-cap through Trove ... lucky genies who had this chap in their tree to leave such a treasure waiting to be discovered!

As I've said, my lot came for gold in the early 1850s and soon took up either printing at the local paper, or in the case of my direct ancestor, who would have had trouble finding work as a house painter, moved into the work his mum had back in Bristol ... the hotel and entertainment trade.

My lad placed quite a few ads over the years and after successfully setting up a bowling alley, he graduated to a rifle range and then incorporated it all in a hotel.

Have a read of the following account and I'm sure you'll follow it through to the end as the correspondent remembers who he crossed paths with and what became of them ... verrrry revealing!

Cheers, ROB!
rnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

----< Bendigo Advertiser, Friday 13 April 1917, page 5 >---->

"BACK TO BENDIGO."

EARLY BENDIGO.

PIONEER'S REMINISCENCES.

From Mr. J. C. Brownhill, a member of the firm of Messrs. J. C. Brownhill and Sons, general printers, of Geelong, and one of the pioneers of Bendigo, the Mayor (Cr. Beebe) has received the following interesting letter:—

"As one of the earliest arrivals in dear old Bendigo, permit me to congratulate you and the other promoters of the 'Back to Bendigo' movement, on the successful carrying out arrangements in connection there-with. Owing to circumstances of a domestic nature intervening, I was unfortunately prevented from being present on the auspicious occasion, but I was certainly with you in spirit. It may possibly interest you to know that as a boy of nine years I arrived in Bendigo with my people in 1852, and resided in various parts of Bendigo (including Golden-square, Specimen Hill; Job's Gully, Eaglehawk, Back Creek, Quarry Hill, etc.) until 1863, when I left, for Geelong, where I have lived ever since, having reared a family of eight— three daughters and five sons. Three of the latter are at the front—at least two of them are still there, but the other poor fellow has been in hospital in England for eight months, having been terribly damaged in an engagement in France on 19th of last July. Although for 33 years after I left Bendigo I frequently visited that city (then known as Sandhurst), I have not been there for about 20 years. Needless to say, during the period of my sojourn in Bendigo (1852-1863) I witnessed many stirring scenes and the most primitive surroundings, and experienced to the full what 'roughing it' meant, especially during the first five or six years, living first in a tent, then in a hut, and finally in a so-called 'house.' I learned my trade (that of a printer) in the 'Bendigo Advertiser' jobbing office, situated at the back of the newspaper office—an adjunct to the paper at the time I refer to. The proprietors of the establisment (both news and jobbing) were Messrs. Angus Mackay (afterwards Minister for Mines), J. J. Casey (later on Minister for Lands, and ultimately Judge Casey), and Mr. Henderson. Mr. Mackay was editor of the paper, and Mr. Casey was the business manager of the whole concern. Among the names of those connected with the front office at that time, I call to mind those of R. R. Haverfield, 'Bob' Mackie, George Collier (afterwards a noted professional actor), 'Dick' (now the Rev. Richard) Fitcher, Sangster, Levy, and S. W. Viney, of each and all of whom, I could relate interesting stories. In the 'Advertiser' composing room there were Mr. Hechle (overseer), Slobom (sub-overseer), B. L. Farjeon (afterwards a famous novelist), 'Tom' Hellier, and others. In the machinery section the most prominent name was that of 'Joe' Anderson, well known then, and I believe for many years afterwards. In the jobbing office the overseer was Mr. Thomas Talbot Wilton, known to fame at that time as Doctor Panglors, LL.D. and A.S.S., having reference to his masterly assumption of that character in the 'Heir-at-Law,' a play produced by Bendigo amateurs in the late fifties. Mr. Wilton eventually, with others, started the 'Bendigo Mercury,' which I think ultimately merged into the 'Bendigo Independent,' after which he (Mr. W.) associated with Reuter's Telegraph Co. I treasure the memory of the years I spent in the 'Advertiser' jobbing office, during which period I had a splendid time, but had to leave in 1863 with great reluctance. "Among the many vivid recollections of those early days, some of the most interesting to me are those connected with the stage, having been brought into fairly intimate relations with many of the professionals of the time, notably Mr. G. V. Brooke, Miss Avonia Jones, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Heir, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Vinson, Mr. and Mrs. Dominick Murray, Messrs. Stuart O'Brien, J. R. Greville, R. D. Ireland, etc. At that time there were three theatres running constantly, viz., the Lyceum, in Pall Mall, afterwards turned into a general store; the Haymarket, a fine old home, with an excellent stage; and St. James's, in connection with the Shamrock Hotel, then kept by 'Billy' Heffernan, who engaged the inimitable Thatcher for a long season. Thatcher was immensely popular in those days (or rather nights), and his comic songs were unique. I remember the names of many men who eventually became notables, such as Mr. Robert Strickland, of Bridge-street, who forsook the 'chopping black' for the bar (the legal, not the liquor); Mr. J. H. Abbott, who ultimately became a legislator; Mr. Alf. Bailes, who after serving his apprenticeship on the 'Advertiser' took to politics; Mr. John (later Sir John) McIntyre; Mr. Robert Clark, ultimately well known in connection with political matters; Mr. W. D. C. Denovan, and many others. Of course, my Bendigo reminiscences will naturally have little, if any, interest to yourself or other members of the present generation, but to me they are endearing, and to a great extent delightful. Although I was not able to be at the gathering during Easter time, I am hoping to get at least a day in the very near future to visit the dear old city, which has for me so many interesting associations, and if such an opportunity occurs I will certainly take the liberty of calling upon you for the purpose of shaking hands with the present representative of the people of my old place of abode. So far as I am aware, the only present citizen of Bendigo that I can claim to have even a casual acquaintance with is Mr. Luke Murphy, whom during the Mayoralty I had the pleasure of meeting in Geelong, in company with your former clerk of courts, Mr. W. W. Harris (now, of course, P.M.), and Mr. Honeybone.

<----