[dps-chat] Re: WA State Library

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 13:29:07 +0800

G'day LESLEY (& any one else not XMASing) ....

you concluded:--->

I am afraid that I can only learn a little at a time - I am not as young as I used to be unfortunately.
I'll stick my head up and have a final crack at this one as I've been formulating a reply for a cuppla hours now ...

I can appreciate Cathy's report that she had the new website format singing in no time and I'm sure that'll apply to all in time. Sooner for me as I'm only a new comer to using the site from home and that's all I've known.

But I can also put myself in John's shoes as believe it or not, I'm a mere male too and I've been told that we're an odd breed.

I certainly know that when we reluctantly go shopping, we treat it like a foot race and pride ourselves on being in and out in no time ... except if we go to Bunnings (t'othersiders will know what I mean as that iconic WA brand has taken over on the other side of OZ as well).

A big problem with our planned shopping exploits would arise IF some bright spark rearranged the way items were shelved ... they'd claim it was for improved efficiency and shopping comfort, but we really know it would've been done by some bloody-minded individual who wanted to make sure us mere males travel up and down every isle and to see what their shop had to offer ... the pity is that their stuff is not as interesting as the stuff in Bunnings!

Now putting myself in John's size 11's ... I can see a parallel between the scenario above and the one at SLWA and all the other sites that have gone down the same path before.

I can see John dropping off to sleep two nights ago with a research problem and a set aim of 'sleeping on it' ...

I can picture him waking up with a nagging suspicion that the answer could be found via the PO Directories on the SLWA website ...

I presume that he boiled his water for a cuppa and while the tea bag was doing what it does in the cup, he fired up his 'puter and pointed his browser to his bookmarked link for the P.O. Directories AND ... it all hit the fan ...

> AAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
> he's lost, confused and running around in ever decreasing circles!

Picture still further ...

> Why must I run in these circles and why are they getting smaller?

but wait ... there was more ...

> PS - I finally found the PO directories but I forgot to leave a trail of breadcrumbs - now I don't know the way out!

Everyone looking on from the distance can see why our John had this problem ... he was still in his pyjamas which didn't have a pocket for breadcrumbs AND his ever tightening circles were slowly taking him further away from that stimulating cuppa that he still hadn't had.

Why do we put ourselves through it?????

Because we love it and get off on it!

Cheers for now, ROB!!          RNelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. I've had to change the way I type my e-dress as a few old eyes were mistaking the 'rn' for an 'm' and my mail was going missing :-(