[dokuwiki] Re: "doodle" is a trademark and shouldn't be used in plugins

  • From: "Jerry Schwartz" <jerry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:55:19 -0400

[JS] I believe that the exclusivity of a trademark (or a service mark and no,
I'm not sure of the legal difference) applies only when there is the
possibility of confusion.

For example, you could probably get away with naming a candy bar "Tide," so
long as you didn't use anything that resembles the logos used for the laundry
detergent. On the other hand, "Mac's Burgers" is similar enough that McDonalds
is going after the local restaurant by the same name.

Locally, we had a landscaping company calling itself "Better Stones and
Gardens." The owners of the "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine forced them to
change their name. They claimed that there could be confusion that would imply
some kind of endorsement or business connection.

BTW, some companies are extremely aggressive. Don't even **think** of using
any variation of "Lava Lamp," or even anything that looks like a Lava Lamp in
a picture (unless the image is an homage). Their clipping service will find
you, and the company will hang your hide from a flagpole as a warning to
others.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated