[dokuwiki] Re: Splitting user and dev lists (forum)

  • From: Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:16:49 +0200

On Fri, 19 May 2006 13:47:25 +0200
Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There were several discussions about having a forum or not a while ago
> and we decided against it. However a separate user and devel list may be
> useful. Question would be if the current list becomes the user or the
> devel list.
>
> I'd like to get some more input from others on this. Chris? Matthias?
> Guy? Ben? Anika? Others?

The main question for me is: What would we gain?

If the mailing list is split up I would subscribe to both lists too for
mainly two reasons:
 1. I want to keep myself up-to-date with dokuwikis development and to
    have a place to post my patches to.
 2. Some discussions started by non-developers are very interesting and
    sometimes unfold new ideas worth to think off.

The major disadvantage of this approach is, that I have to read two
mailing lists instead of one.

If I were a rookie I would give the user list a try but at least I would
ask on the developers list too, if my first attempt wasn't successful.
Currently many questions are answered by developers and therefore it
might happen that all users switch over to the developers list and the
users list will become a orphaned place. I didn't make any statistics to
prove my statements but I think this is not so far from reality.

At the end we might get the same as we have today but we won't know if
we doesn't give it a try. As long as we stay at mailing lists I would
swallow the little inconvenience of reading two mailing lists. But I
wouldn't read a forum on a regular time basis for sure.

 Best Regards
   Matthias