[dokuwiki] Re: Splitting user and dev lists (forum)

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 08:24:21 -0500 (CDT)

Chris wrote:
> re. forums, didn't someone start a google group or yahoo group
> discussion forum?

I understood the proposal as a suggestion to move to a platform that easily
supports the arbitrary partitioning of posts by topic, such as this one for
Textpattern <http://forum.textpattern.com/>, and to begin with at least a two
topics, Dev and User.

These forums differ from listservs and yahoo/google grloups in a few regards,
such as allowing each user to indicate whether or not they receive responses to
a particular post by email (vs. just visiting the web).  It also allows people
to browse posts by subject and to constrain searches by subject.  I don't know
if any of the common forum platforms make it possible to email-subscribe to all
posts, regardless of topic.

Dokuwiki topics might be:

Customizing layout
Plugin development
Core development
Bug reports
End user support
Installation

I personally have no opinion on the matter.  The only improvement I need is a
better way to search through the archives.  I have a heck of a time finding
posts I know are there.

~joe