[dokuwiki] Re: How to number headlines ?

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:59:29 +0100

Anika Henke wrote:

Just curious ... Would a plugin like that be too far away from the (too) often asked for feature allowing certain kinds of formatting and substi(tu)tion in headlines (http://bugs.splitbrain.org/?do=details&id=208)??
The problem isn't the headlines its the TOC.

The TOC is formed by extracting the header instructions from the page's instructions list. If other syntax modes occur in the heading then a single header will be broken up over several instructions and some of the character data may not be present in a header instruction. So the current method of TOC generation would break down.

The issues associated with the above aren't unsolveable, but they are complex. For me the ideal mechanism would be to revamp TOC creation so its something that is done by parsing the render output not the instruction list. Once you allow formatting, its only with the formatted (render) output that you can guarantee to get the header character data.

That may not be such a bad solution. A single regex could (probably) be run over the render output to assemble the header
level info + character data.

Hmmm .... I'll think on that (and would welcome anyone else thinking on it) :)

Chris