[dokuwiki] Re: Disabling namespaces in DokuWiki?

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:17:01 +0000

On Friday 19 December 2008 07:40:26 Martin Erlandsson wrote:
> Different contexts have different needs, I guess.
>
> In my case (my personal view based on the wiki contexts I have
> experience from), I find it very confusing to mix pure wiki linking
> with a hierarchical strategy. Wikipedia and many other wikis work just
> fine without namespaces or hierarchies. It's just a matter of handling
> disambiguities in a good way.

Pretty much the main reason I picked Dokuwiki was that it has
hierarchical namespaces, something most (all?) other wiki software
lacks.

But then, all my wikis contain several very distinct subject
areas, with similar topics within each subject. Creating a
new wiki for each subject would be a nightware. Whenever I've
had to disambiguate pages on flat wikis, it always seems to
come down to a poor-man's namespace anyway (e.g., using
<namespace>_<topic> as the page name).

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx