[devel.cofsug] Re: RFP: sahana -- free and open source disaster management system

  • From: shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: devel.cofsug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 02:11:03 +0530

Addition at bottom :-

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 21:20, Rahul Bedarkar <rpal143@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here is request for free software developers. When they develope
> software, it should be cosidered that someone will create deb package.
> In according to this, they should take of their source code. For eg.
> While creating pac for sahana, i have removed more than 500 files
> execute permissions because these were normal text files. There are
> lots of such issues. Developer should take of such issues. Otherwise
> maintainer will frustrate.

Hi Rahul,
       At the foremost I was thinking Praveen or some of the more
experienced people would share. Please do not take this as a criticism
but just as an opinion.

I am no developer. Still, from a simplistic perspective any 'free
software developer ' or better yet 'FOSS software developer' would
want not only Debian but the whole Universe to use his work.

While some apps. may be useful to a single platform but many an app.
would have a better lifetime if they are cross-platform.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Cross-platform

An interesting presentation in this regard might be gnusteps

http://www.gnustep.org/Presentations/GNUstep-Presentation-NYCBUG-2.pdf

The idea of one platform being better than others (although I'm biased
towards debian) but still I cannot think of it from software usage
kind of view.

The idea as Mr. Vasudev just said is to give as much as info. to
upstream to help them but we cannot force them. They will use what
suits them.

Also remember that its not that for the distribution the user
experience is important. It may be that a certain software package is
dropped because its buggy or some dependancy on which the software is
based is buggy, memory leaky whatever in such a case the distributor
would take out that package.

Then as a single platform software developer where would you be if you
are at the mercy of a single distribution or a format.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल